Friday, November 2

Forgiveness & a Poem

Names have not been changed to protect the not-so-innocent.

My Husband - we'll call him Eric.
Friend - we'll call him Travis.
Wife - we'll call her Kristin

Ask and ye shall receive. 3 Nephi 27:29

My husband & I prayed for over 3 years that the Toyota Camry we bought when I was pregnant with Jaxon, would last us through school. Our prayers were answered and we thanked God continually for hearing & blessing us. Eric graduated. And shortly thereafter the car quit on us. As soon as it happened I had an overwhelming feeling of peace come over me and I KNEW without a shadow of a doubt that the Lord was aware of us and he had heard our prayers.

We were prepared to make it as a one-car-family, when a friend, Travis, recognized our need and generously loaned my husband, Eric, a vehicle. And not just ANY vehicle. A nice big Truck! He had been driving the truck for several weeks when Travis had an opportunity to sell it. Eric was happy to return the truck and hoped he could sell it. He decided to clean it up, shampoo the carpets and take it through a car-wash hoping if it sparkled it would help the sale!

Through a series of unfortunate events ... leaving the parking-lot to return it, the truck met it's fate of a gnarly, scratched-up, banged-up door with a large yellow pole.

The pit in our guts ... you know what, I won't even attempt to put into words our feeling over the next several hours. They were ones I can't describe & you can't understand unless you've been there.

Needless to say, Travis & his wife, Kristin, extended their mercy and then some. Later that evening Eric was surprised to find a plate full of goodies and chocolate chip banana nut bread with a note attached.

"Who crashes a truck after getting it washed?
Our dreams of selling it today were squashed.

The scene is just too funny for us to be mad.
Just know that we still think you guys are Rad!

So here's some food to fill the pit in your gut, 
eat it all up ... it won't go straight to your butt.

Again ... you don't suck for wrecking our truck, 
'cause having you as friends, we've had no better luck!"


I don't know kinder, more generous, more thoughtful, more beautiful, more forgiving people.

Their goal isn't revenge or justice, gossip or offense. Their goal was to comfort US! What!? I feel so grateful to have such wonderful people in our lives.

Take a note from the Benson's on forgiveness and class. I hope to be like them if I ever find myself in a similar situation.

3 thoughts:

Regan Housley Gray said...

That is such an incredible story. What a blessing and what amazing people!!

Jill Revell said...

wow...there really are amazing people out there!

Megan said...

Who could ever be mad at you guys?! Miss you both tons!